Feature request: use a serif font for formula display

Is it possible to enable Discourse Math Plugin so that typing formulae in “F Forum” is possible?

$$
\mathrm{e}^{{2\pi}\mathrm{i}} = 1.
$$

I wonder why the formula does not look normal:

\mathrm{e}^{{2\pi}\mathrm{i}} = 1.
1 Like

I meant: I wondered why the font for formula display is not a serif font.

Below is how the formula looks in another Discourse-powered forum (meta.appinn.net):

Variables in a formula are usually italicized.

$$
a^2 + b^2 = c^2.
$$
a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

However, they aren’t.

Hello, to propose a new requirement, just follow the steps in the picture below(when u create a new topic)

Excuse me, my English is poor

Thanks!

I have edited my post.

You successfully made yourself understood! The grammar doesn’t really matter!

1 Like

Hi Septsea! Welcome to F Community.

To answer your questions:

Why the font is not sans-serif?
We’ve tested on Chrome 97 and Firefox 95, both showed up as Serif font. May I ask what type of browser you’re using? Also did you customize the font or install any extension that might’ve altered the default font?

Why the variable is not italic?
I just checked and there was no custom setting for variable font style in the plugin settings :frowning: One way for us to make variables display as italic style is to customize the CSS for the plugin, but that’ll affect the constants as well (those powers in your case), so we just decided to leave it as is.

Thanks for your reply!

I am using the latest Firefox Nightly. I did customize the font; after resetting the settings, the formula was displayed in Times New Roman.

What math plugin are you using now? Is it Discourse Math Plugin?

Formulae are expected to be displayed in the so-called “Latin Modern Math” font:

That would be more terrible if constants were also italicized… :cold_sweat: